This list of instructions is intended to prepare you for your surgical procedure. For optimal results, please follow these instructions carefully.
- Please arrive at 9:00 am unless directed otherwise.
- To prevent excessive bleeding, discontinue alcohol consumption and use of Minoxidil, Rogaine, vitamins, aspirin, ibuprofen and arthritis medication 7 days before and 3 days after your procedure. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is acceptable for use. Propecia can still be taken.
- Purchase an ice pack to help with swelling after surgery.
- A full night’s sleep is recommended the night before, a normal breakfast the morning of surgery.
- Wash and dry your hair the morning of your procedure. *Do not use any leave-in products, including hair spray.
- Dress comfortably, wear a button-down shirt, and bring a loose-fitting baseball type cap.
Depending on the type and size of your procedure, three prescription medications may be called in 3 days prior to surgery:
- Prednisone – aids in preventing swelling. *Must be taken even if swelling is not present. This medication should be started @ 8:00 AM the morning of your procedure; Must not be taken on an empty stomach.
- Keflex – antibiotic to prevent infection.
- Hydrocodone (strip procedures only) – This will consist of a mild narcotic-analgesic which will help alleviate the pain you may experience. **Do not drink alcohol with this medication! Doing so may cause excessive drowsiness and even coma. Do not drive while taking this medication. *This cannot be called in. We will mail you a written prescription about 1 week before surgery to fill at your local pharmacy.
- With a normal breakfast, take the first dose of Prednisone (5 tablets) and Keflex (1 tablet) on hour before arriving at the office. Taking these on an empty stomach may result in nausea, vomiting and weakness.
- Do not exercise the morning of surgery!
- If you are having a strip procedure, it is advised that you arrange for transportation home due to the influence of pain medication.
- Please inform us AT LEAST 2 WEEKS IN ADVANCE if you cannot keep your surgical appointment. Canceling within 2 weeks will result in a $500 fee.
- Payment is due by the end of your procedure. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover, cash or check.
If you have any questions, please call us at (513) 774-0400.
Scalp Laxity Exercises
Scalp laxity exercises may be recommended by Dr. Wolf to prepare your scalp for surgery. Ask about these scalp laxity exercises during your consultation.
Scalp Laxity Exercise 1:
Clasp your hands and place on the back of your scalp. Find the area on your skull that has the ridge running along the back. Place your hands slightly above this ridge with your palms flat.
Pull your hands forward toward your forehead while at the same time moving your scalp up and down. Press hard enough against your head so that your scalp moves and your hands don’t simply slip over your hair. Perform this exercise for 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes in the evening.
Scalp Laxity Exercise 2:
Place your hands firmly at the side of your head. Move the scalp up down as far as scalp movement will allow without your hands slipping on your head.
Perform this exercise for 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes in the evening.